Monday, June 11, 2007

Welch and Dickey

Yesterday, Ben, Mel, my dad and I went on an awesome hike up in the White Mountains.

Peaks Welch and Dickey are basically one congruous mountain, with a dip in between that helps distinguish the two summits. It's easy to see here in this video from one of the mountains' dozens of awesome ledges.



The ledges themselves were one of the best parts of the trip. As I said, there were about a dozen open rock faces that required a scramble or a crawl up. The views from these ledges were great, and you could even see open granite ledges higher up the mountain with other hikers scrambling up. Some of them were slippery, however, and one ledge was almost impossible to get up. All of us ended up slipping and falling back down to the base, which was kinda fun actually.


This is the first ledge we reached. Unlike the rest, though, it wasn't steep. You can kinda see the project to rebuild the shrubs and vegetation. It was an impressive mountain garden.


Some highlights of the trip


This part of the trail featured a narrow scramble up an almost vertical rock face, which ruled.


The low point of the col in between the peaks was marked by this massive cairn.


After climbing back up the col and looking back to the peak we were just on.

Hiking up here in Holderness has reminded me of the Squam Lake Science Center that my dad used to take me to back when I was young. Though it's sort of a place for kids, I would still go today because of the bear and bobcats and foxes and otters and shit that they have there. I think I'll go when I start making money again. I need a fucking job and I can't seem to get a call back from anywhere I apply to.

No comments: